About The House
Bishop’s Lodge is a remarkable iron building constructed in 1889 as the official residence for the Anglican Bishop of Riverina.
The house and its 19th century garden are now maintained as a house museum by the Bishop’s Lodge Management Committee.
Owned by the Anglican Diocese until 1946, the Lodge was home to the first three bishops -Sydney Linton, Ernest Anderson, and Reginald Halse. Between 1935 and 1946 it also became the Linton House hostel for boys attending the Hay War Memorial High School. From 1946 until 1985 it was a private residence.
In 1985 the Hay Shire Council purchased the property and obtained several large grants which enabled the physical conservation of the property to take place. This became Hay’s major bicentennial project for 1988. The work was completed over the years 1986 -1990.
When Bishop’s Lodge was built in 1888-9 it cost £6,800 (pounds), approximately AU$902,000 (2015)
It was sold in 1946 for £1,200 (pounds)
It was sold to the Hay Shire Council in 1985 for $85,000.
Grant monies of $332,000 were used to fund the conservation of the building.
Current income is raised by the Bishop’s Lodge Management Committee through fundraising, function hire, tours and visitors, grant monies and an annual vote from the Hay Shire Council.
Technology in the House
- designed by celebrated architect Sir John Sulman with substantial input by Bishop Sydney Linton
- build by local contractors Butterworth, and Sylvander
- use of iron exterior walls and zinc-coated tin plate interior walls with cedar batten strapping over the plate joints in most rooms, plaster in public rooms.
- walls insulated with saw dust
- cyprus pine timber, resistant to termite attack, use throughout the house
- raised ventilating ridging on the hips and ridges of the roof, ventilators under the eaves for all rooms and substantial footings to allow for free movement of air circulation under the building
- low window sills on double hung windows with boxed counter weights allow for the windows to be opened low down or high up to better the ingress of cool air from the verandahs and the egress of hot air from the rooms
- separate kitchen block to keep the house cool and minimise the risk of fire spreading
- recycled tank stands, formerly for harvesting rainwater
- stained glass windows in the private chapel
- s total area of about 115 squares (978 sq metres), 45 of which are verandah
- kitchen block is an extra 14.5 squares
- verandahs are 9 feet deep (2.7 metres)
- ceiling height is 14 feet (4.3 metres)
- there are 24 rooms in the House, including dining rooms, parlours, multiple bedrooms and chapel
- the original chapel altar of Bishop Linton is still in the chapel today
The Families and occupants
The Lintons 1889-1894
Bishop Halse 1926-1943
Linton Hostel 1935-1946
The Panarettos and Carides families 1946-1985
Hay Shire Council with the Bishop’s Lodge Management Committee 1985-present
Bishop’s Lodge will collect and conserve important objects associated with the history of the Bishop’s Lodge House and Garden. The themes of the collection include:
- innovative building technology suited to hot dry climates
- gardening in hot, dry climates
- the early history of the Riverina Diocese of the Anglican Church
- the life of the families who have lived at Bishop’s Lodge
- the Linton House hostel period
- the conservation of the property
- the management of the property
- the contribution of the volunteers
- the ‘found’ roses in the garden