This beautiful and elaborate cast iron fountain was the gift of the then Mayor of Hay, Alderman John Witcombe, and is a fitting memorial to the life and work of one of the founders of the town. It was erected in 1883, on the corner of Lachlan and Moppett Streets. It was installed in place and connected to the water supply, water commenced flowing on the 13th of December that year.
It is still standing in its original place today. National Trust listing was obtained in 1979, and filtered water was connected in 1989 and is still flowing.
In 2009, as part of Hay's Sesquicentenary celebrations the Witcombe Fountain was restored to its original splendour.